Thursday, August 30, 2012

COOKING: Almond and Berry Slice


I love a recipe that NEVER lets me down. Something that's FOOLPROOF!  I also dislike a cake recipe which makes us "cream butter and sugar" first. It's funny - the idea that if your butter is at room temperature - that is the optimum temperature for beating......it frustrates me because in summer we cannot leave our butter "out" because it will be too soft...... and in winter the butter left out is still too hard to beat because we here in Adelaide often leave our houses without heating during the day....and only cave to switch on some form of heating at night...... when it is really cold. So it leaves a very small "window" for which our butter is good temperature for beating!!

Anyway - along came this recipe and it was instantly a big-hit with me because I do not have to use any electrical klunky appliance to make it. Old fashioned bowl and spoon (or spatula)! Wonderful!!

This recipe is also magical because the finished cake slice can be eaten at room temperature, or zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds to slightly warm..... and then serve with a dollop of thick cream and dusted icing sugar for an impressive dessert. The combination of almond and berry always impresses. Trust me - don't lose this recipe - you will refer to it again and again.




For the complete recipe CLICK HERE.

This recipe calls for a cup of almond meal......I always buy whole raw almonds and blitz them in my mini processor (and I don't bother to take the skin off either). I like the feeling that leaving the skin on is delivering more nutrients into my slice!!!


My homemade almond meal.


Icing sugar, plain flour, baking powder sifted into a bowl. Almond meal and lemon rind in there too.


Add in the butter and eggs. Make sure the butter is nice and cool after the melting process. Stir gently till combined well. Don't overwork.


Pour into lined cake pan.


Sprinkle frozen berries on top and then finish with a sprinkle of the raw sugar.


The slice after baking. This one took 40 minutes but check it after 30.


This cake is moist and delicious. Freezes well too.

Would I lie to you????




6 comments:

  1. OMD OMD THAT looks soooooo beautiful and sounds DELICIOUS. THANKS for the Recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great recipe I have made this as well dead easy and oh so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try that one as soon as I can get the ingredients together - I love almonds and berries and it looks so delicious just from the photo :-) Thanks for that recipe - Leigh (Magic's Mum)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds just lovely and I will certainly try it. Would I lie to you?

    Jo, having a laugh with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now would like some cake with my cup of tea! This cake looks delicious and I love the plate it's on. I love the fact that it is made the "old fashioned" way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthy Almond and Raspberry Slice Recipe , as mentioned in the name itself is one of the best options as a dessert when it comes to easting something low on calories and healthy as well.

    Almond and Raspberry Slice Recipe

    ReplyDelete