Saturday, June 1, 2013

COOKING: "English" Scones


I was asked to make a huge batch of Scones for my friend Lynn to take to her work for "Harmony Day". Lynn was born and educated in the U.K. - but is a firm proud Aussie now. Albeit with an English accent!!

To pay homage to her roots - she wanted to take an English Dish to her work, and decided that Scones were the way to go. I gladly agreed to make them. Any excuse for baking I say!

This is the EASIEST recipe and not traditional at all ..... but it's a winner.

The Objective.


One cup Cream, One cup Lemonade, Three cups Self-Raising Flour and a pinch of salt. I elected to add about 1/2 cup of sultanas to one batch...... so people could choose either with or without fruit.

Sift the flour and salt into the bowl.

Add in the sultanas (if using).


I love sultanas in scones...... but some people like my husband and brother are vehemently opposed.


Then tip in the cream and lemonade.


Mix lightly and gently with a knife - DO NOT OVERWORK.... this is the key!


Tip out onto floured bench. LIGHTLY knead just till flour is fully incorporated.


Pat out to a fat round - about an inch thick is good.


Pick your cutter size and start cutting.


Place onto a baking tray with either a silicone sheet or baking paper. Brush tops with a little milk.


While they are baking in the oven set to 220 degrees C (425 F)  pour yourself a lemonade - you deserve it. Marvel at how rare it is that you actually drink lemonade!!

Scones should only take about 10-12 minutes and should sound hollow when tapped from the bottom.


All done and cooling on the racks.


That's what mine looked like.


And it is only socially responsible for me to taste ONE (with strawberry jam and whipped cream) to make sure that they were good.

They were good.

And they went down a treat.

The official link to the recipe: CLICK HERE 


5 comments:

  1. I guess the key to having them raise so nicely is the Lemonaide. They look Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love scones! and these look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Poots!
    I love scones, I'm from Wales (as you know) which is just across the border from England and last week we took a trip to Devon, home of the "cream tea" so we got to have yummy scones (yes with raisens ) and jam, clotted cream and a cup of tea, I'm now going to use your recipe to make my own scones as they look even better than the ones I had in Devon!! I love your blog and Rubies, its nice to be inspired by you both! I want to see another PKW adventure, but would you go in the winter?
    Love, Licks and Hugs from Frank and Jem (mum) XxxxX

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were yummy went down well at work. If I had made them the would have been more like rocks than scones just can't master the art of scone making but I may try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe - will have to get my peeps to try that one. Those scones look delicious - woofs and licks from Magic xx

    ReplyDelete